National Assisted Living Week 2022 takes place Sept. 11-17, 2022. Aspen Associates Group is privileged to work as an executive recruiting partner with people at all levels in this profession, and we are continually impressed by their dedication and care for residents and their family members.
On so many levels, the assisted living industry makes a positive contribution to our society. Assisted living provides social benefits that come from being a part of a community. They provide activities, transportation, better nutrition, medical oversight, and assistance with daily activities. For families, they provide peace of mind by ensuring loved ones are in a positive and safe environment.
The American Health Care Association and the National Center for Assisted Living (AHCA/NCAL) is the largest association in the United States representing the Assisted Living industry. Data shared on their website offers insight in the size and the importance of the industry overall.
- There are approximately 28,900 assisted living communitieswith nearly 1 million licensed beds in the United States today.
- Facilities are located as follows:
- 6% Northeast
- 6% Midwest
- 0% South
- 8% West
- 56% are chain-affiliated (an organization with two or more communities) and 42% are independently-owned.
- There are more than 800,000 Americans residing in assisted living. Residents often need help with only a few activities of daily living and do not require 24-7 skilled nursing care.
- Among the 46 million full-time nursing and 35,000 social work employees in long term care, about one-fifth (20%), or 298,800 are employed full-time at an assisted living community.
As planners in the senior living profession make forecasts, many are focused on 2030. Less than a decade away, this is the year when the first Baby Boomers (born after 1946) start hitting their mid-80’s. That point is when many seniors seek assisted living.
I worked in the assisted living and senior living continuum for many years and saw first-hand the powerful impact made by people like you every day. During National Assisted Living week, and the other 51 weeks of the year, Aspen Associates salutes you! While you can never put a quantitative measure on how much caring matters, please know you are making a personal investment in the quality of lives for the elders you serve who are experiencing the golden years of their lives.
By Tom Zeleny, NHA